Saturday, July 28, 2007

Fruit In Season

Spending time with children, many who are orphans, is emotionally draining. I go through periods where all I want to do is drop out of school and move to a village and love kids and everyone else around me. Our hearts have been broken in the sorrow or despair in the situation. Now mind you, some of these kids are the most joyful, life-filled kids I’ve ever met. But you can’t help but think of the statistics that are against their survival and being cared for. I want so badly for every child to experience the love and joy that God has for each one of them, but struggle in my limitations of making that possible. As much as I’d like I can’t hug and smile at every kid in the world, or share God’s love with even half of them.

I was reading a verse in Psalm 1:1-3, 6. It talks about the man who delights in the Lord being blessed and is “like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season. And whose leaf does not wither-whatever he does prospers…”. The in season part really jumped out at me. A fruit tree has a specific season. It made me think of these mango trees that seemed to mock me daily, as they were not ready to share their delicious fruit with me. You could see the blossoms beginning and could only imagine how amazing and wonderful it will be when they fruit. But right now it is preparing. Soaking up the nutrients, digging deeper with its roots. That is me right now. I need to be preparing for what I am called to do later in life. That by no means I am dead and merely waiting. Like a tree, I’m still purposeful, offering shade and beauty (and we all know I add a loooot of that to the world J) I thank God for being my water and nourishment white I figure out my season and my fruit. My leaves will not wither and I will be refreshed by God’s spiritual water. Watch out for upcoming seasonal fruit.

No comments: