Saturday, July 28, 2007

Runs

One of my favorite selfish aspects of the trip was that I was able to run everyday. It was soooo refreshing and good for my body and soul. I was able to run in the trees, on dirt roads through villages, next to little kids running along side of me, up and down steep hills, by waterfalls, through fields, with great fellowship, and with the biggest smile on my face. No one person wanted to run with me everyday so I had a cycle of about 4 guys that I had to drag out of their sleep to keep me company. All the girls who ran preferred to run by themselves, so I was stuck with the incredibly tall boys. It was funny to compare running strides for sure. Some of my best conversations with people were on runs, as I think and feel so much better while I’m running. There is nothing to do but run and talk. And admire the beauty you’re running past. One run in particular was steller and it started with Lovat (who had just decided to pick up running) saying, “Guys, I really think we should push ourselves today. To the point where we need God’s strength and not our own.” At first I was like, “really? Why the poo did I invite him, I want a relaxing run!” But an hour and constant uphill later I was loving it. I felt I was being pushed and challenged. As the three of us were all focused on our running up steep hills it was quieter than normal and I had lots of time to think about the verse I had read the day before in 1 Peter about being a living hope. I’m still trying to figure out what living hope really looks like, but I had this image of a runner with full confidence they were running for the prize and willing to sacrifice anything and everything to get there. The prize is not a selfish one, but represents that hopes that I have in God. The hope that orphans will experience the love and joy God can give. The hope that humanity will love and not hate each other. The hope that Jesus’s name will be known. The hope that healing covers the brokenhearted. The hope that I can do something to change the world. The hope that I can influence the people around me in a positive way. I have lofty hopes, not on myself but on God’s power alone.

No comments: