Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mozambique Memories

Sarah Parker's Post
(Parker Parents: I suggest not reading this as you will be getting the real letter in the mail soon).
This is a letter I wrote my parents while in Mozambique. Before I sent it out I copied it into my journal to remind me of my thoughts and experiences. So these are my thoughts...

10th of July 2007

As I write this I am sitting in a prison in Mozambique. We are here showing the Jesus Film to about 150 male prisoners who have committed crimes from murder to petty stealing. When we got here they were singing songs of worship to God. They seem like such a joyful group of men, and they have huge smiles. Praise god that they are forgiven for their sins. There are no fences here, or cells. Just a few guards with big guns. Even though the security is next to non-existent, they will not run away because here they are fed and have a place to sleep.

Our time in Mozambique is coming to an end. Only a few days left until we have to leave and spend another 3 full days in the packed cars driving through Zimbabwe and South Africa. I haven't seen any big game yet; only warthog, springbok and kudu; but they are amazing animals as well. The team is awesome, we laugh a lot and spend a lot of time in prayer together. I am really going to miss all of them when we leave. Fortunately some of the team will be in Cape Town for our last two weeks and we have plans to spend time with them in our few remaining days.

This past weekend Sara and I went with some of the team into the bush, into a small, rural village with no electricity or running water where the people live in huts made out of mud and straw - Can you say incredible? It was so much fun. We played with lots of little kids, danced, worshipped God in a sweet language, saw a bazillion shooting stars and ate freshly slaughtered pig with our hands - it was amazing. We all preached at church, too! I got a little taste of what I have been dreaming about for years, and I loved every second of it. Life here is just so simple, and it makes me realize how much excedss we all live with that we so do not need. Even as a team we haul water, cook over a fire, sleep in tents and wash clothes by hand. I am not scared anymore of living a simple life. Although I miss the luxuries of running water, electricity and a comfortable bed, I am fully enjoying living with very little.

People rely on God for provisions here and He provides daily for their every need. I hope one day that I may have the strength to rely on God for everything, and the faith to know that He will provide.

No comments: