Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bone Soup

The name reminds me of something maybe my grandma would say she is making for dinner…but it is reality. Never before did I think kids would make “cameras” with left overs-of their dinner. But I’ve been proven wrong. Bone soup is a common occurrence here and the kids love it. Nerdy me tries to always identify what type of bone the different ones are, and usually they are some part of the vertebrate (for those curious ones). Sarah and I are both finding it semi-challenging not to have control or independence in what we eat, but the last couple of nights we’ve been able to make dinner and love it. I (Sara A.) lean towards using as many vegetables and beans acceptable. All the food is mass produced to feed the hungry 16 kids and usually about 8-10 adults. The pots and pans are so huge to make the cooking possible, and great a chore of dish washing. Besides bone soup, we’ve made/had a pasta kolash type thing, split pea/sugar bean/ground beef (referred to as mince meat) soup, rice and some type of meat gravy, sopa (a type of soft corn pellet)…The kid’s breakfasts are either oats or a corn hash mixture.

1 comment:

Sam said...

usually, when I think about you, Sara, I just wish that we were in the same place. So here's to going adventuring together someday!

I miss you like crazy. I met a friend from Ghana. He wants to go on a date, I want to be friends...
awkward? you betcha. I've ignored the last 3 phone calls. yikes!