Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Oma and Opa




Oma means grandma in Afrikaans, and Opa means grandpa. They are two unrelated people that work at the centre and have become favorites in our hearts. Oma is one of the most hard-working, diligent people I know. She is over 60, yet works harder than anyone else at the centre. She cleans everything, washes, dries, yells at kids, avoids pictures and says, “thank you dear” or “thank you lovely” when we do anything. I (sara a) asked her to show me how to wrap my hair in the scarf type thing I always see her in...so the pictures are of the one she did on me then the one i did on sarah p.

Opa is a man who I just found out is exactly 74 years old and helps out on Tuesdays. He cracks me (Sara A) up. He always speaks to me in Afrikaans and has me repeat it, but rarely tells me what I’m saying…dodgy indeed. I rode back with him from the vegetable market today and it was hilarious. I was making faces at him, either huge grins or wide open typical Sara face and he returned the favor. Then he elbowed me and then quickly looked away as if he didn’t do it. Maybe you had to be there, but it was a riot and he never stops joking around.

No comments: