Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Nice Girl

“Be kind and compassionate towards one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ God forgave you” Ephesians 4:32

I (Sara) dislike being described as nice. I feel like nice is one of those adjectives that you use when you can’t think of anything deeper or more meaningful about a person. “Well, Sara is nice” sounds to me like “Well, Sara doesn’t do anything to make people upset or angry”. I do want to be kind, to put others needs and desires before my own, and as my dad says, “there is no reason to be unkind”. As I was reading in Ephesians earlier this week I was thinking about compassion and how that seems to go beyond kind. Here’s a brief look into my rambling journal thoughts about it:

“Being compassionate goes beyond kind, it overwhelms the heart and soul, it seeps into motivation and reasoning. If I am compassionate must I even question whether or not to be kind? Compassion pushes me to consider others’ needs before my own. It gives me patience to take the time to consider the other side of the story. It puts my desires on the backburner as I invest in others—whether they care or not. Whether they are compassionate or not. Gosh that is hard.”

I desire to become a compassionate person. I will start by being compassionate towards people here. I will start by giving the benefit of the doubt and seeking to bless and encourage others.

No comments: