Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Jo’burg

Though our initial understanding of the weekend was a small group staying in Jo’burg and climbing right outside of it was a little off of reality, it was an amazing weekend. It was my (Sara) heaven—climbing and staying in a hostel. The climbing was supposedly the best sport lead climbing in South Africa, and I could agree with my limited exposure to Cape Town climbing. The rock itself was beautiful, a red that glowed in the sun. The climbing was so much fun. Sarah learned how to belay and was a fantastic encourager. I only have bruises to show for myself, but it was wonderful. There was a large group of us, all very friendly, typical climber people staying in a climber-specific hostel 2 ½ hours outside of jo’burg. I got to go running every morning through the small, excluded town and loved it. The temperatures were a lot colder than in cape town but was dry and sunny during the day. I am getting more comfortable sport leading, but falling far off the bolt is still a scary, awakening experience. All in all, it was wonderful and a great break.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I went climbing and thought of you sara!!! I got some good tears (I don't have good pants for climbing) on my knees and elbows.. we did a 5.10a and then some 5.8s. which are difficult enough for me. the other crazies who are good at climbing danced up some 5.11s, but thunderstorms made time short, so I have a chance to make a fool of myself by only getting up 1/3 of a climb. love you!